Re: Debian Linux keyboard mapping files ...

On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 12:46:01PM -0400, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  Given the baseline option a user chooses as "language" during
> installation, the codes sent by the keyboard should be interpreted.

>  There should be files with the associations of (unicode) numbers and
> keys on a keyboard. I don't think that information is "secret" in any
> way. Where can I find those files?

https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

This points to the configuration file /etc/default/keyboard.

That points to the keyboard(5) man page.

Which in turn points to the following resources:

http://www.xfree86.org/current/XKB-Config.html
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_KeyBoard_extension
http://pascal.tsu.ru/en/xkb/
http://www.charvolant.org/~doug/xkb/
http://xfree86.org/current/XKBproto.pdf

The Arch wiki page points me to the xkbcomp(1) command, which tells me
that keymaps are stored in a compiled form, and stored within the X
server's memory.  You can use xkbcomp to dump this to a file, and then
inspect the file.  Of course this does not tell us where the files
normally live on the system, to be slurped up by the X server as it's
beginning its lifespan.

While looking for such files, which I did not quite find, I *did* find
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us which looks relevant.  At least for me,
since my keyboard is configured to have XKBLAYOUT="us".