Re: Debian Linux keyboard mapping files ...

On Thu 01 Jul 2021 at 01:59:41 (-0400), Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  there should be files mapping (most probably unicode) number <->
> gliph for each language.
>  From where can I get them?

I'm not quite sure I can reconcile your subject line and text.
For the body text, you could look at a site like
https://unicode-table.com/en/
(I googled, without quotes, "unicode charts glyphs".)

But I think you're more interested in keyboard scancodes and their
keycaps (engravings, which vary by language, manufacturer, etc).

AIUI these files are built as necessary from description master
files. After all, many mappings are built around common cores.
The eventual mapping is then placed in /etc/console-setup/, so mine
is in /etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap.gz

There are scripts in /usr/share/console-setup/, but the raw
information appears to be under /usr/share/X11/xkb/ and
looks complicated. I've never gone beyond consulting these,
and have only /added/ to their Compose sequences through
the /etc/console-setup/remap.inc file.

I did just type
$ apt-file find keymaps
and it looks as though installing "console-data" might yield
some interesting files to peruse, though it doesn't appear
to be a package necessary for building "normal" keyboard
mappings (I don't have it installed).

One can of course dig deeper, and examine the kernel's header files,
but that's way above my paygrade.

Cheers,
David.