Re: Server setup

On 06/13/2021 05:23 PM, deloptes wrote:
Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

So if you read back my message.
I boot using a rescue system over the network.
I do my partition.
I make the filesystem.
I mount.
I use debootstrap.
And after I need to configure boot, this is where it blocks.

Got it now ?

At least now I understood the problem.

After dbootstrap you should chroot and execute grub-install and update-grub
or vice versa. Of course it could be necessary to update some
configurations.

I attach here my installation notes I applied to USB-Stick. It should apply
to your use case as well (I hope)

Ah and if you find some pieces to improve, let me know.

regards

Between Polyna-Maude's outline above of the installation process and deloptes' "Debootstrap_Into_USB-Stick" I think I understand why I was unsuccessful using debootstrap when I first encountered Debian a decade ago.

I think I also see a common theme between this thread and my old problem. There is a difference of "world view" between Debian experts and non-experts which causes a breakdown in communication, the same sentence conveying quite different information to the two groups.