Re: Unexplained freezes and crashes, nothing in /var/log/messages

On Thu, 2021-06-03 at 12:19 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2021-06-03 11:27 a.m., Marc Auslander wrote:
> > On 6/3/2021 10:20 AM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> > > On 03/06/2021 09:09, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> > > I check the temperature regularly with sensors and it's usually
> > > between 42 and 52 C.
> > >
> > > Problem is I can't check the temperature while it's freezing.
> > >
> > > You might run a background job that keeps writing the sensors to a file,
> > say every 5 minutes, although a really don't know how quickly the
> > temperature can change.
> >
> > That said, this sounds like a long shot to me.
> >
> Temperature doesn't change in a matter of one or two minutes, unless you
> have a real heat dissipation problem and you'll see in this case the
> changes from the time you power it on the temperature will rise fast.

Only if workload stays the same and the system has reached equilibrium.
Temperature can change in a matter of seconds if workload suddenly
changes.

$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/type
x86_pkg_temp
$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp
47000
$ while : ; do : ; done &
[1] 4739
$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp
63000
$ kill 4739
$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp
49000

That's 15C change in about second on this laptop. My desktop will go
from drawing 17W from the mains when idle, to 160W when maxing out all
8 CPUs and temperature will jump about from 40C to 95C in a few
seconds.

--
Tixy