Re: Unexplained freezes and crashes, nothing in /var/log/messages

On 03/06/2021 09:09, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
When you say "it freeze".
How long have you waited before "pulling the plug"

I left it on for 30 minutes or so before giving up

or considering other
way of powering off ?

Such as?

Have you checked the temperature of your CPU after leaving it running
for a while. Laptop end up with lot of dirt inside and this is not good
for thermal conductivity. So they tend to heat up when they get older
(and not cleaned).

I check the temperature regularly with sensors and it's usually between 42 and 52 C.

If your system freeze it may be some problem caused by overheating. On
the long run, capacitor get tricky and solder may become problematic.

But first, is this happening only when you have been using the system
for a while ? Because this could point to a problem of overheating.

Problem is I can't check the temperature while it's freezing.

--
Ottavio Caruso