Re: thunderbird

On 5/31/21 5:55 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2021-05-30 at 20:59, James Wallen wrote:

On 5/30/21 8:03 PM, rust wrote:
On 5/30/21 9:00 PM, James Wallen wrote:

If I could find a text / TUI mode calendar to work with mutt I'd
  certainly like to switch.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "work with mutt", but
khalendar is pretty cool.

I'm unable to locate "khalendar" in the repositories. I can't even
find mention of it in general search engines. Is there a home url for
it? Does the "k" at the beginning of the name indicate that it is
part of kde?

I had the same problem, but a bit of guesswork involving 'apt-cache
search alendar' led me to the package 'khal', which looks like probably
what was being referenced.

Thanks. For some reason it didn't occur to me in this instance to search for a part of the name I was given. I did try several altered spellings, but I kept on including the front of the word.

Thunderbird and its calendar (derived from Lightning) are nicely
integrated, with the exception of the calendar requiring a lot of
mousing around to use it. You can send and receive invitations or
assignments for appointments / events / tasks.

I'm sure it's nice, but I don't use it myself (despite being a
longstanding user of Thunderbird), specifically because it is
integrated; I want a standalone calendar tool, and in fact I found
Sunbird (which I understand to be the ancestor of Lightning) almost
ideal, back before the ability to build that separately was dropped.

Yes, I used to use Sunbird.

The PIM was an important piece of software, but it seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur -- probably because of smart phones??? I don't own a smart phone. For my tastes and purposes smart phones just don't work.

Thank you for helping find khal, and please let us know if you find a really nice stand-alone calendar -- because that would work nicely for me if I switch to mutt or neomutt.

JPW