Re: Printing addresses on a #10 envelope (US)?

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 12:17:12AM +0200, deloptes wrote:
> Russell L. Harris wrote:
>
> > I use a dot-matrix printer with tractor feed to print self-adhesive
> > address labels.  There is no formatting; just several lines of plain
> > text, one address per file.  There is no driver; the printer is
> > managed by CUPS to receive "raw" data.  I print labels using the "lpr"
> > command.
>
> And the year is 1998 :D

Yeah. Today you would use a client-server architecture, the server
being an npm application running in a Docker container. The client
is based on libelectron (the printer selection dialog has to have
a GUI, after all). Since the stack of dependencies is so, well,
hellish, you better deploy your print-capable apps as Flatpaks [0],
each one with its own copy of libelectron (and of Chrome, of course).

Makes you pine for the good ol' times where those things were made
with Eclipse [1].

Nah. I'll take lprng, thankyouverymuch.

Cheers
[0] Or however your application isolation framework is called
   in the circle of hell you currently inhabit.
[1] And I thought Eclipse had its name because lights went dim
   when it was started. Naive me.

 - t