Re: URGENT..! Very annoying when UPDATE = debian.map.fastlydns.net

On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 09:34:58AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> ¹ Now after reading
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/05/msg00238.html
>   I'm not even sure about that. I was under the impression,
>   from this list, that https was best avoided in favour of http.

Under ideal circumstances, it is.  Plain HTTP can be proxied and cached,
and therefore is far more efficient when admins go out of their way to
make it so.  There's also slightly less overhead, so even in the most
vanilla setups, it's a *tiny* bit more efficient.

The problem is, a lot of hosts are stuck with broken Internet setups,
intentionally or otherwise.  In some of those situations, using HTTPS
instead of plain HTTP can work around the brokenness and get you the
packages.  It's not ideal, but it's reality.

My workplace is one of those intentionally broken setups.  So, don't
think it can't happen to you.