Re: URGENT..! Very annoying when UPDATE = debian.map.fastlydns.net

On 2021-05-06 at 05:41, Dan Ritter wrote:

> ISRAEL wrote:
>
>> Very annoying when UPDATE = apt update always fail =
>>
>> *Err:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian <http://deb.debian.org/debian>
>> buster/updates InRelease                    *
>> *  Could not connect to debian.map.fastlydns.net
>> <http://debian.map.fastlydns.net>:80*
>

> Feel free to choose something more convenient for you from the
> list:
>
> https://www.debian.org/mirror/list

I think the complaint, insofar as there is one that specific, is that
the mirror auto-selector is choosing a mirror that does not function
correctly (or at least does not do so for some people, without any
obvious reason why it would work for others and not for them). ISTR that
this is the second complaint about this mirror not working correctly
we've seen in the past week or three; whether they are from different
people, or both from the same, I don't know.

(Note that the person making the complaint did not choose to use
debian.map.fastlydns.net; that person chose to use the mirror
auto-selector, deb.debian.org, which in this instance chose the
fastlydns option.)

The only options I see offhand (though I'm sure I'm missing some) are A:
that the debian.map.fastlydns.net mirror is in fact not functioning
correctly for anyone at present, or B: that for some reason the
complainer's Internet access is being blocked/filtered in a way which
prevents access to that mirror without preventing access to e.g. this
mailing list.

In case A, either the people who run that mirror need to fix whatever's
wrong with it, or it needs to be removed from the auto-selector's list.

In case B, either the blocking is a mistake (in which case someone -
possibly the mirror maintainers, possibly the complainer - needs to
reach out to whoever's doing the blocking and get them to correct that
mistake), or it's intentional (in which case the complainer is off-base,
and needs to either switch to a different Internet access - which might
be impossible, depending on the circumstances - or stop using the
auto-selector and choose a mirror that isn't being blocked).

--
   The Wanderer