OT: dotfile generalities (was Re: repeated system mail, /etc/.pwd.lock ?)

On Thu, 6 May 2021 davidson wrote:
[dd]
To that end, I can occasionally do something like

$ ls -Rp | less

and make a point of examining the first couple of things that look
unfamiliar.

This misses out dotfiles.
[dd]
So when I look for what I'm missing out on, and do...

$ shopt -s globstar
$ ls /etc/**/.[^.]*

It now occurs to me that this still omits files like /etc/.a and
/etc/..metadotfile

Instead,

 $ ls /etc/**/.{.?,[^.]}*

does what I intend, which is to display all dotfiles under /etc. Seems
unduly complicated if you ask me, but it is what it is.

I can feel it coming on: Someone is going to tell me to just use find.

Talk about unduly complicated! And I don't want to.

...then I find

* /etc/.pwd.lock, clearly an exception to the /etc profile above
* various ".placeholder" files, also clear exceptions
* model (eponymous) home directory config files under /etc/skel
* some ".depends.*" files in /etc/init.d/ which are not init scripts
[dd]

--
Ce qui est important est rarement urgent
et ce qui est urgent est rarement important