Re: exim update not responding to update-rc.d

On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 05:27:13PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 05 mai 21, 07:46:03, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >
> > You're using a package that has not yet been converted to systemd.  It's
> > still using an old init.d script, and systemd is performing a conversion
> > on the fly.
> >
> > The basic start and stop subcommands will work fine, but disable may
> > not work.  It's not clear from the systemd-sysv-generator man page, but my
> > guess is that the auto-generation of systemd units takes place in memory
> > at boot time, and applies to all the init.d scripts that systemd sees.
> > Doing a "disable" after this would only affect the generated services,
> > which are ephemeral and go away when you reboot.
>
> As far as I recall (but it's been a while since I needed this)
> update-rc.d is the correct tool and it should even take care of
> synchronizing state between systemd and sysv-rc.

Hmm.  Well, I suppose it's possible, especially if the OP kept using the
wrong filename (exim vs. exim4).

I still wouldn't care to try it, personally.  Knowing that it's a native
init.d service, I would use the appropriate tools for that.

> In any case, masking should work as the symlink to /dev/null is in /etc.
>
>     systemctl mask exim4.service

That would, of course, prevent "start" and "stop" from working on it in
the future.  Which makes me wonder why on earth the OP wants to disable
exim4 in the first place.

I smell an X-Y problem here.