Re: exim update not responding to update-rc.d

On Mi, 05 mai 21, 07:46:03, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> You're using a package that has not yet been converted to systemd.  It's
> still using an old init.d script, and systemd is performing a conversion
> on the fly.
>
> The basic start and stop subcommands will work fine, but disable may
> not work.  It's not clear from the systemd-sysv-generator man page, but my
> guess is that the auto-generation of systemd units takes place in memory
> at boot time, and applies to all the init.d scripts that systemd sees.
> Doing a "disable" after this would only affect the generated services,
> which are ephemeral and go away when you reboot.

As far as I recall (but it's been a while since I needed this)
update-rc.d is the correct tool and it should even take care of
synchronizing state between systemd and sysv-rc.

> To permanently disable the starting of this service, you'll need to
> use the actual sysv-rc techniques (either removing or renaming symlinks,
> or using Debian's weird update-rc.d tool which relies on parsing comments
> inside the init.d script).

In any case, masking should work as the symlink to /dev/null is in /etc.

    systemctl mask exim4.service

Kind regards,
Andrei