Re: HTML syntax.

On Monday, May 03, 2021 11:44:41 AM peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> Is there an editor which checks that HTML opening and closing tags are
> paired and nested properly.  An opening tag without matching close, a
> closing tag without matching open and crossed tags should be flagged
> by line number or color.
>
> Preferably an editor with minimal overhead of installation and
> configuration.

I think any editor with syntax highlighting will help you with that -- exactly
what it tells you may depend on how the syntax highlighter is designed -- in
general, if you are expecting something to be syntax highlighted as, for
example, a heading, if the either the starting or ending markup for the header
is missing or incorrect, that part will not be properly highlighted.

I use kde and occasionally (and in the future) plan to use editors based on
Scintilla.  I use my own syntax highlighter "definition" for my own markup
language, but both of those have syntax highlighters for HTML.

Scintilla is used as the editing component (text entry and display) of quite a
few editors, among them Geany (there is a list somewhere of maybe up to 100,
not sure all of them still exist (or ever existed "in the wild").