Re: Google vs. DDG (was: Social-media antipathy)

On Sun, May 02, 2021 at 01:20:03PM +0200, Michael Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 02 May 2021 12:57:59 +0200
> deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)
> > I'm sorry guys, but DDG is another joke. For example I wanted to know
> > what is Stieglitz in German - it is kind of bird, but I wanted to know
> > how it looks like. DDG results did not even come close to a bird.
>
> this I cannot reproduce here. Searching for "Stieglitz" DDG shows me as
> the first result https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stieglitz , followed by
> other bird-related pages in German. Switching to DDG's image search I get
> a whole page with photos of these cute beasts.

You have to set your preferred language to German (not the UI language,
but the language your browser negotiates with web pages: in Firefox
it is "Choose your preferred language for displaying pages") to
German.

As others say in this thread, you have to use your brain a bit more
to be happy with DDG.

To me, honestly, this is a feature, not a bug.

> I'm sorry guys, but DDG is another joke.

I don't know whether that wants to sound cool or what.

Cheers
 - t