Re: upgrading firefox-esr from 78.6 to 78.9 results in non-working firefox

On 4/10/21 4:59 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

... I did 'apt update' and 'apt install firefox-esr' to upgrade from
version 78.6 to version 78.9.

I have not figured out the difference between apt(8) and apt-get(8). It looks like the former uses the latter as a back-end (?). I use apt-get(8).

Always backup before doing updates; especially kernel upgrades.

When I want to upgrade, re-install, or install packages, I start with 'apt-get update'.

I would have done 'apt-get upgrade ...' instead of 'apt install ...'. I then reboot.

If there are packages that have been kept back, I do 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and then reboot.

If I want to re-install a package for whatever reason, I do 'apt-get remove ...' or 'apt-get purge ...'. If I'm suspicious, I reboot. Then I do 'apt-get install ...' and reboot.

David