Re: upgrading firefox-esr from 78.6 to 78.9 results in non-working firefox

On Sat 10 Apr 2021 at 10:05:23 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
> On 4/10/21 4:59 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
> > ... I did 'apt update' and 'apt install firefox-esr' to upgrade from
> > version 78.6 to version 78.9.
>
> I have not figured out the difference between apt(8) and apt-get(8).
> It looks like the former uses the latter as a back-end (?).  I use
> apt-get(8).

I don't think that's the problem with interpreting the OP's command,
but rather, their sources.list and what's actually installed, when
they say:

    "my system (mostly Debian testing)"

> Always backup before doing updates; especially kernel upgrades.
>
> When I want to upgrade, re-install, or install packages, I start with
> 'apt-get update'.
>
> I would have done 'apt-get upgrade ...' instead of 'apt install ...'.
> I then reboot.

I'm not certain that's wise as it could try to upgrade everything to
testing. That might or might not be desirable—we can't tell because
we don't know the mix of packages.

> If there are packages that have been kept back, I do 'apt-get
> dist-upgrade' and then reboot.
>
> If I want to re-install a package for whatever reason, I do 'apt-get
> remove ...' or 'apt-get purge ...'.  If I'm suspicious, I reboot.
> Then I do 'apt-get install ...' and reboot.

Cheers,
David.