Re: ubuntu/snap future

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 14:45:31 +0200
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 01:48:44PM +0200, Yoann LE BARS wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > 	Concerning my own applications (they use a free licence),
> > really, it is better not to engage any integration into Debian: it
> > is not worth the effort nor for me, my users and the distribution.
> > You cannot integrate an application that is use by something like
> > ten people, including the developer. Also, some of them use Open
> > Suze …
>
> Hm. Myself, i have one small application "out there" for just one
> customer (Gtk2, C, GPL3+, although it has more ideological than
> practical value, since it is really tailor-made to fit). I actually
> went all the way to wrap proper Debian packaging around it. Nowadays
> it's a charm, because I can leverage all of the Debian goodness (you
> want a port to Raspi? No problem, just cross-build. You want it
> running on that old Squeeze box [hey, didn't I tell you to upgrade?]
> -- cross-build again).
>
> But that only really works out when the customer is nearly all-Debian,
> which this one is.

There's a lot to be said for web applications, particularly when so
many people use toy computers. In my house, there are Windows and Linux
computers, two Androids and an iPad (not mine). I can operate my juke
box and other software from any of them.

Once you're running an SQL server 24/7, it's by far the easiest way to
go. And my feeble little netbook has no trouble running MariaDB and
Apache with PHP7 for out-of-network operation. I wasn't able to persuade
an Android device to do that, even though the ports are available.

--
Joe