Re: ubuntu/snap future

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 01:48:44PM +0200, Yoann LE BARS wrote:

[...]

> 	Concerning my own applications (they use a free licence), really, it is
> better not to engage any integration into Debian: it is not worth the
> effort nor for me, my users and the distribution. You cannot integrate
> an application that is use by something like ten people, including the
> developer. Also, some of them use Open Suze …

Hm. Myself, i have one small application "out there" for just one customer
(Gtk2, C, GPL3+, although it has more ideological than practical value,
since it is really tailor-made to fit). I actually went all the way to
wrap proper Debian packaging around it. Nowadays it's a charm, because
I can leverage all of the Debian goodness (you want a port to Raspi?
No problem, just cross-build. You want it running on that old Squeeze
box [hey, didn't I tell you to upgrade?] -- cross-build again).

But that only really works out when the customer is nearly all-Debian,
which this one is.

> 	Concerning proprietary applications, I am afraid editors are not really
> willing to collaborate. Clearly, they want to to everything by their self.

Of course: they will collaborate whenever it's convenient to them
(the "embrace" phase). For example, Zoom does offer Debian packages.
Would I install that? No way! I'd prefer the browser version, and
I'll use a fresh, separate profile, and at the end, I'll soak that
profile with gasoline and put a match to it (well, OK, maybe just
"rm -Rf" might do ;-)

But I'll bitch and moan loudly to my interlocutor. Perhaps I'll
lie and say that I've got just a telephone or something.

Cheers
 - t