Re: Button events from headphone+micro combo

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:40:45AM +1100, David wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 at 06:29, <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> > > It's entirely possible that the Librem doesn't have a sound chip
> > > that translates impedance changes to button clicks. You could
> > > ask the hardware folks, right?
>
> > Ugh. A construction like this [1], where the mic is shorted with
> > varying resistors to transmit signals?
>
> > Ugly hacks folks come up with, that :-/
>
> I do not consider this to be ugly, at all. I am a hardware engineer.

I am a physicist, so in some way one OSI layer below you ;-P  [1]

> Given that the headset cable must be flexible, robust, and tiny diameter,
> it would be suboptimal to add dedicated wires for signalling. The reliability
> of both connector and cable would be compromised.

I think the real thing isn't the cable, but the connector and its
compatibility. You only have the two rings for stereo, one for the
mic and a common return. This was already stretching good-ol' jack
too far. Introducing yet another ring would've been killing poor
old audio jack :-)

And killing Jack takes "courage", as Apple's Tim Cook once said.
Which is an euphemism for "we can afford to gouge our users".

Anyway. It is a classical "hack" which means taking something you
have and extending it in some unexpected and usually very creative
way. Enjoyable, most of the time extremely useful, in a nutshell:
the engineers core value :-)

But I stand by "ugly". Which isn't intended to be dismissive.

P.S: I've no aversion to analog electronics, but I think it's
rim-full of ugly hacks "we just pretend this transistor has
no VBE0 and is a linear device" or something :-)

> I don't understand why anyone would think this is ugly, or what would be
> less ugly. If it is an aversion to analog electronics, don't forget
> that "digital"
> electronics is an abstraction. And underneath that, everything is analog.

And then, underneath that, again, digital. In a very twisted
way. Or then, perhaps not... depending on whether you're looking
at it. So physicists tell me ;-D

Cheers

[1] Tongue-in-cheek. I don't take myself too seriously. Seriously!

 - t