Re: Installing Debian from a hard disk with Windows to a USB stick

El jue, 25 mar 2021 a las 21:11, Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z
(<santiagopinth@gmail.com>) escribió:

> I'm trying to install Debian 10.8 on a USB stick, and it is not Debian Live,
> from a hard disk that has Windows 7 installed.  Since I don't have
> any CD or DVD, and I need the USB stick to install Debian on it,
> I can't use the USB stick to put the ISO image on it.
>
> I have downloaded the first ISO DVD image, hd-media/vmlinuz and
> hd-media/initrd.gz.  As I understand, the standalone win32-loader
> downloads its own Debian image, so I supposed I needed the setup.exe
> from the ISO image.  I put debian-10.8.0-i386-DVD-1.iso, g2ldr, g2ldr.mbr
> (these two from the ISO), initrd.gz, setup.exe, vmlinuz and win32-loader.ini
> on the root of C:
> (...)

Hi.

I tried to run setup.exe and it stored all the files necessary for booting
inside a directory at C:
Apparently, it does that for any files you use with it.  The only files it puts
on the root are g2ldr and g2ldr.mbr.  The files were almost successfully copied.

I suppose that win32-loader does its job for any files you give it.
The only problems are these two:

setup.exe could not copy g2ldr and g2ldr.mbr to C: because they
already were in C:
so it "failed".  I will try to put the files on another folder to see
if setup.exe does
the same as before but without failing.

The other problem is, even that grub2 should load and then load linux and the
ram disk and everything should go fine from there, I don't know
if the debian-installer from hd-media searches the ISO at the root directory
or at the same directory where linux and the ram disk are located.

The documentation says to put linux, the ram disk and the ISO at the root,
but since setup.exe puts the first two in some directory and
configures everything
to run from there, I don't know if I should leave the ISO at the root or instead
move it to where linux and the ram disk are.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

--
Time zone: GMT-4