Re: How to save filtered less results in a file or on stdout

l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Strictly speaking, my question is not on Debian itself, but on usage of less command running on my Buster (487-0.1+b1).
>
> Is there a way to save *filtered* less results in a file or on stdout please?
>
> What I mean by "filtered" is results obtained via "&" or "&!" command inside less.
>
> Indeed, commands like "|", "-o" or "s" inside less don't seem to take filtering into account...
>
> Thanks in advance :)

  if you are going to do something to the contents of
a file you can use:

$ grep "pattern" filename > output

  there are different versions of grep command (egrep and
fgrep too besides just grep - check the man pages).

  if you are taking the input to grep from some other
command you can pipe the output of that command to the
grep command and then redirect what comes out of that
into a file:

$ command | grep pattern > outputfile

  less and more are what most would consider pager
programs and not really all that oriented towards
filtering like grep.

  for more complicated kinds of output processing
you can use awk/gawk or many other things available.

  i never much got into perl.

  i think more modern peoples use perl instead of
grep/awk/etc.  :)

  songbird