Re: How to save filtered less results in a file or on stdout

Songbird,

29 mars 2021, 00:55 de songbird@anthive.com:

> if you are going to do something to the contents of
> a file you can use:
>
> $ grep "pattern" filename > output
>
>  there are different versions of grep command (egrep and
> fgrep too besides just grep - check the man pages).
>
>  if you are taking the input to grep from some other
> command you can pipe the output of that command to the
> grep command and then redirect what comes out of that
> into a file:
>
> $ command | grep pattern > outputfile
>
>  less and more are what most would consider pager
> programs and not really all that oriented towards
> filtering like grep.
>
>  for more complicated kinds of output processing
> you can use awk/gawk or many other things available.
>
>  i never much got into perl.
>
>  i think more modern peoples use perl instead of
> grep/awk/etc.  :)

Actually, I asked this question because of my workflow here.

First, I use the less pager to navigate quickly inside an input, not knowing beforehand what it looks like and what I will need to do.
Then, I filter some lines depending on my own investigation.
And finally, I'm thinking that it would be too bad to lose the remaining lines so I'm looking for a way to save them eventually.

Of course, you're right, if I knew beforehand what to look for, there are more appropriate and advanced tools (even sed)! :)

Best regards,
l0f4r0