Re: Adding wine64 to wine installation (buster)

On 26.03.2021 08:31, Rick Macdonald wrote:
Thanks!

I ran the wineboot --init command and it worked, and I was able to install the 64bit program with "wine app64.exe", and it launches. Is there a difference between the commands wine and wine64?

Now, do I need to reinstall all my previous 32bit programs, or can I use WINEPREFIX pointing to the old .wine directory that I renamed ".wine32"?

Rick

"wine" command is a 32-bit ELF binary and "wine64" command is a 64-bit ELF binary.
In my experience it doesn't matter which one to use, as long as you run programs inside a prefix that supports both 32-bit and 64-bit (WoW64). [1]

You can use just one prefix for both 32-bit and 64-bit programs, or you can have as many prefixes as you want, each could be setup with different settings and\or DLLs, tailored specifically for some program.
It is up to you how to manage them all.
I use "q4wine" program (it could be installed from Debian repo) that helps to make some things easier.
There is also commercial software "CrossOver" [2] from the authors of WINE project, but I've never used it.

[1] https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_Guide#WINEARCH
[2] https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.