Re: RTL problem

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 19:59:04 -0400
Maureen L Thomas <silverorb@verizon.net> wrote:

> So I decided to re-install debian 10.
> While doing so I get to the part about the entering the needed rtl
> files which I have on DVD and on USB.  I tried both but neither of
> them would work.  I cannot get it to even come up to a command line
> to do dmesg and see what the real problem may be.

I take it that by "rtl files" you mean RealTek firmware blobs for
RealTek devices.

What I found was that Bullseye (Debian 11) wants the firmware .deb
package, not the extracted firmware files. This may or may not work on
Buster (Debian 10). Also it wants the file in the root directory of the
USB device.

You may be able to install without them if you don't need the interface
they support to install. You would need some other interface either
during installation, or shortly after installation to bring the
firmware package in.

Probably the easiest option: you might try the unofficial with-firmware
installation images. Depending on your requirements, you should be able
to drill down from this page:
https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?