Re: how to record sound to mp3

Greg Wooledge (12021-03-25):
> I was told *by the developer* (Monty, in #vorbis IRC long ago) that
> Ogg Vorbis files were designed for this.

Yes, I know concatenation is supposed to be a feature, but they messed
it up.

You may not know, but the expert consensus is that, although the codec
Vorbis was excellent, and Opus even better, the design of the format Ogg
was terrible. The non-working concatenation is not the worse part. The
worse part is probably that supporting any new codec in Ogg requires
code, and non-trivial code even. Look at this:

http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi/ffmpeg.git/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=blob;f=libavformat/oggparseopus.c

Compare to what it takes to support the same codec in Matroska:

http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi/ffmpeg.git/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commit;h=30549294ef0f796d48b1ffa482bd9315d4dbb83c

> However, I will note that there *are* players that don't handle
> chained Ogg Vorbis files properly.  So, make sure you test with the
> actual player you intend to use.

If concatenation really did work, it would work with all players,
because they would not even be able to detect it happened.

But it is worse than that, it is not weird players not handling the
format correctly that do not work. Concatenation works with players that
play it fast and loose with the format and fails with players that
support it completely, because they take the serial id of the streams
into account.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George