apt upgrade merging modified files

When I apt-update, sometimes I update something for which I modified a config file and I get this menu:

Configuration file '/etc/matrix-synapse/homeserver.yaml'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
    D     : show the differences between the versions
    Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** homeserver.yaml (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N]

Sometimes, rarely, I get a 5th option offering to try to merge the
files.  I don't know what causes the merge option to be available or
not.

If this is a file which I indeed modified, what I inevitably end up
doing is using the Z option, popping into a shell, then presents me 2
variables (without $ in front of them) which give me 2 files: current
and new.

So what I do is manually echo the two variables out (putting a $ in
front of them) and run emacs and emerge them together.  This is fine,
it's usually pretty easy.

Is there some way I can at minimum add a 5th option to the above menu
to run emacs in emerge mode with those files as args?  This would save
lazy me the steps of echoing the vars and starting emacs manually.

I run etckeeper, it would be really sweet if this was smart enough to
attempt a 3-way merge (merge with an ancestor file).

Michael Grant