Re: Creating my first LAN

On Wed 24 Mar 2021 at 17:49:11 (-0400), Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z wrote:
> El mié, 24 mar 2021 a las 16:42, Brian (<ad44@cityscape.co.uk>) escribió:

> > > For the record, many modern routers provide a URL to reach the admin
> > > page, so as long as wifi and DHCP are enabled out of the box, and they
> > > all do that, there's no need to mess about with IP addresses and
> > > cabling at all.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I am pleased you are supporting the advice I gave. Setting up one
> > computer [a]s an AP with DHCP is interesting but not exactly a walk
> > in the park.
>
> I agree too.  Using a router would be a very easy way to set up
> an ad-hoc network.

Take care with your terminology (unless this was some sort of joke).
The idea of buying a router is to *avoid* having to set up an
ad-hoc network. Routers are designed to be APs and run a DHCP
server OOTB, whereas laptops are not. The debian-installer is
designed to make connecting to such an AP very straightforward.

(Of course, this might be all too conventional.)

Cheers,
David.