Re: Creating my first LAN

On Wed 24 Mar 2021 at 20:06:37 (+0100), basti wrote:
> Am 24.03.21 um 19:38 schrieb Brian:

> >> Not at all related!
> >> If not mentioned in current post - it does *NOT* exist.
> >> IOW the _current_ "Universe of Discourse" consists of EXACTLY two laptops
> >> communicating via WiFi. If that not a minimalists idea of a LAN, I don't
> >> know what is ;/
> >
> > Minimalist? I suppose it is and, after it takes only two to tango; Reco
> > has outlined the steps.
> >
> > However, when Donald T. and Kim J. got together for a quick chin-wag, the
> > minimalist concept fell apart because communication was a barrier. The
> > problem was solved by increasing the number of participants on their
> > network by at least one, a translator.
> >
> > I strongly suggest you do the same and revise your action plan. Using a
> > wireless router as part of your minimalist LAN would be so much easier to
> > get the laptops talking to each other.
>
> To connect 2 PCs Laptops or whatever why you don't use a LAN cable?

   "I had considered Ethernet over a year ago. Went so far as to
    purchase an 8-port switch. Then realized there was not space on my
    work surface for the cables."

> Keep in mind that modern Intel Wifi Cards do not support AP mode.

Does that apply to Ad-Hoc as well?

> Use a wifi router or Range expander that can be used as AP.

A new N600 dual band router can be had for $30 at Walmart.
I don't know how easy it is to initially configure it without
an ethernet connection to one of the LAN ports, but that problem
can be considered solved by the quotation above (from a couple
of years back).

Of course, the response could be just a load of caps and a
smattering of asterisks.

Cheers,
David.