Re: Creating my first LAN

On Wed 24 Mar 2021 at 12:05:38 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 03/24/2021 11:37 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 10:34:53AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > This is essentially a reading list request.
> > > I have never administered a LAN and believe in "learning by doing".
> > > I have two laptops with clean installs of Buster. During installation server
> > > software was installed on *ONE* of them. Communication will be via WiFi. The
> > > MATE panel's network connection icon for each laptop shows the existence of
> > > WiFi sources in the neighborhood.
> > >
> > > Any specific suggestions for reading?
> > > What internet search terms will lead to productive results?
> > > TIA
> > >

> > Back to the 20 questions email:
> >

> Not at all related!
> If not mentioned in current post - it does *NOT* exist.
> IOW the _current_ "Universe of Discourse" consists of EXACTLY two laptops
> communicating via WiFi. If that not a minimalists idea of a LAN, I don't
> know what is ;/

Minimalist? I suppose it is and, after it takes only two to tango; Reco
has outlined the steps.

However, when Donald T. and Kim J. got together for a quick chin-wag, the
minimalist concept fell apart because communication was a barrier. The
problem was solved by increasing the number of participants on their
network by at least one, a translator.

I strongly suggest you do the same and revise your action plan. Using a
wireless router as part of your minimalist LAN would be so much easier to
get the laptops talking to each other.

--
Brian.