Re: Social-media antipathy (was Re: How i can optimize my operating system?)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 17:53:13 -0300
riveravaldez <riveravaldezmail@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/18/21, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> > (...) The bottom line: no, I don't "know" that WhatsApp is secure, but
> > neither do I "know" that anything I run is. (...)
>
> To put it simply, I can't accept the idea that in terms of security or privacy
> "community driven open-source and corporation-profit driven closed-source
> software are perfectly comparable or even the same". I think such an
> implication is blatantly false, and to deal with it is to shore crazyland...

I certainly agree that they aren't "perfectly comparable or even the
same," and I certainly do trust open source software considerably more.
I was just objecting to absolutist claims that non-open source software
is completely untrustworthy - claims such as yours that trusting
Facebook is "the opposite of reason, science or
self-verified-security."

Celejar