Re: Social-media antipathy (was Re: How i can optimize my operating system?)

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 10:07:08AM -0400, Celejar wrote:

[...]

> I definitely share your concerns about Facebook (although perhaps not
> quite your vehemence),

:-)

>                        but making blatantly incorrect assertions like
> the claim that Facebook is one of the ends of WhatsApp's E2E encryption
> does not help our cause.

I don't know. I just don't trust them. Much less after their change in
terms of service. I tried to explain this in another mail: possibly,
under the right conditions, E2E is a thing in WhatsApp. Possibly,
making those "right conditions" happen is less-than-trivial for the
user.

> I suppose you're a follower of Sen. Goldwater: "Extremism in defense of
> liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.”

(veering dangerously off-topic, so this is my last word on
this specific thing)

That depends on how you define extremism, I guess. I'm not for
throwing stones at a human being (nor in general for causing
harm). But choosing which corporation I trust... doesn't quite
feel "extremist" to me ;-)

> https://www.niskanencenter.org/on-the-saying-that-extremism-in-defense-of-liberty-is-no-vice/
>
> (Teasing: I'm pretty sure your politics are diametrically opposed to
> his.)

Possibly. I've been doing too much framework javascript today. I
dont feel like adding pain to that, so I'll skip the link :-D

Cheers
 - t