Re: Social-media antipathy (was Re: How i can optimize my operating system?)

>> And signal... with all due respect to Moxie Marlinspike...
>>  - the centralised server model
>>  - the fact they don't publish their server code since a while
> https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Server

To the extent that the service is centralized, I don't really care if
their code is available (it's not like I'd run my own server and start
asking friends to use that one instead, and it's not like I can verify
that the code they publish is indeed the code they run).

I mean, I do welcome their releasing their code under a Free license,
but that doesn't affect very much my overall assessment of the service,
other than a gesture of good faith,

>>  - the construction with one foundation at its center
>>    are all things to push some of my customary alarm buttons.
>>    But in the first place, I'm not the target audience for instant
>>    messaging anyway.
> Every step towards more privacy is good. Let's not let the perfect be
> the enemy of the good.

No doubt that Signal is a big step up from WhatsApp.
I just find Matrix to be yet another big step up ;-)

        Stefan