Re: Social-media antipathy (was Re: How i can optimize my operating system?)

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 06:42:01PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> I guess it's a bit more secure/private than whatsapp because you can see
> >> the code of the client, but AFAICT it's still just as centralized :-(
> > Since it's end-to-end encrypted I fail to see what major benefit
> > federation would bring for one-to-one communication and small private
> > groups.
>
> WhatsApp is also (presumably!) end-to-end encrypted, so that's not the
> only problem with it.
>
> The problem is also the metadata: it still leaves a centralized record
> of who sent what size of message to whom at what time and from which
> IP address.

It's definitely more than just "dry" IP addresses:

  "In January 2021, WhatsApp announced update to Privacy Policy
  which states that WhatsApp will share user data with Facebook and
  its "family of companies" starting February 2021. Previously,
  users could opt-out of such data sharing, but the new policy
  removes this option. The new Privacy Policy does not apply
  within EU, since it is illegal under GDPR." [1]

Come on. Facebook shelled out short of 20 *billion* for Whatsapp in
2014. Don't tell me it was just philantropy. For Mark Zuckerberg's
private hobby it's a tad too expensive -- the investors want to see
return. Some more juicy "user data" than just boring IP addresses
(esp. in times where the IPv6 is kind-of randomised anyway) must
be in for that deal.

> Hopefully they throw this information away ASAP, but I have no reason to
> presume that they do (e.g. even if they do intend to, someone hacking their
> server could collect that information without their knowledge).

Throw away? At most they let it lying around on some cloud, but I
think FB can afford the pros to not botch it up so blatantly. Smaller
start-ups, though...

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatsapp#Security_and_privacy

 - t