Re: Where can I change spamd logging?

On Saturday 13 March 2021 15:13:06 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 02:52:05PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > adding this "-s ~/gene/log/mail.log" inside the option "double quote
> > pair"> and issueing an /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart, didn't
> > bother it a bit.
> >
> > The way I read that manpage, it should have worked.
>
> First: do you actually have a subdirectory named 'gene' inside your
> home directory?
>
> Second: can you show the actual line of the config file, with your
> modification, and then the resulting service logs after the restart?
OPTIONS="--create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir -s ~/log/mail.log"

> Third: can you explain what "didn't bother it a bit" means?  What was
> the actual resulting behavior?  What did it say in the logs?

Its not hitting the named file, but its not spamming syslog any more.
So I've no clue where all that is going

> If you mean something like "the logs were not written to
> ~/log/mail.log but instead were written to ____" then it might be
> because you used the wrong pathname in the config, so it ignored the
> config, and used its default pathname.  Ideally the logs would include
> a warning telling you this, but not everything gives coherent warnings
> in all cases.
>
> Fourth: it's possible that tilde expansion is not performed by this
> service when reading this particular config option.  Hopefully the
> man page will say whether it does or not -- but if it doesn't say,
> then you'll fall back to trial-and-error (put it in the configs,
> restart the service, check the logs, and repeat).  Or, if you don't
> like trial-and-error documentation, you could just use a pathname that
> is guaranteed to work correctly, without requiring tilde expansion.

I'll give it a shot with a full path, and a unique name.  And you were
right, its using that name as a log file now.  Now, put it in logrotate.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis