Re: Google vs. DDG

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 03:58:48PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Felix Miata [2021-03-13 15:44:50] wrote:
> > Charlie Gibbs composed on 2021-03-13 11:04 (UTC-0800):
> >> (DuckDuckGo works fine for searches.)
> > I use Google and DDG.  It's not unusual here to have DDG to return 0 hits, and the
> > exact same search repeated in Google return multiple good hits.
>
> The choice of DuckDuckGo is usually not based on the quality of the
> results it offers ;-)

Still, the quality of the results isn't an absolute measure depending
only on the search engine.

With DDG you have to take into account that it doesn't know very
much about you (contrary to Google). So you have to learn to provide
more context in your search terms.

It took me a while to get the hang of it when I changed from Google
to DDG, roughly about 6-7 years ago.

It's an "interesting" experience, to say the least. It reminds you
that the whole system is "user + computer" :-)

Cheers
 - t