Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

> On Thu 11 Mar 2021 at 16:02:55 (-0400), Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z wrote:
>> Think of E: and F:
>> as sdc1 and sdd1, with direct access to those E: and F:.
>
> Take care how you express this. sdc1 and sdd1 *do* give you direct
> access to devices, but it's raw, and doesn't go through the filesystem
> access methods. Consequently it would be the easiest way to destroy
> your files, which is exactly how most users employ it: with dd, to
> write one filesystem over another, or to wipe it with /dev/zero or
> /dev/urandom.

Oh, thanks, I didn't know that.

> You'd have to sort out the delimiter ":", and the semantics of
> a filename F1:something/something_else. (I take it you're familiar
> with how the interpretation of F:a\b is distinguished from F:\a\b
> in Windows.)

I'm sorry, I don't know that difference.  I made some
experiments.  It looks like every letter has its own working directory,
and F:\a\b is just an absolute path but F:a\b is acomments, lative
to the working directory of F:
Is it right?

> Perhaps read this, by someone playing around with a filesystem from
> the simpler times in the last century.
>
> http://time.to.pullthepl.ug/post/2013/06/24/porting-an-ancient-filesystem-to-modern-linux/

Thanks, I will read it later.

Thanks for your comments and help, I find them very useful.

Have a good day.