Re: Use motherboard video-out or GPU’s

Felix Miata wrote:

> Clear as mud.
>
> Monitor = display. This is physical.
>
> Screen for X purposes is comprised of from 1 to N displays aka 1 to N
> monitors, and most often is. It's a logical construct in which displayed
> output can be either mirrored (cloned) or discrete (unique).

Not exactly - it utilizes the device and AFAIR if you have multihead GPU,
you could have more than one screens with more than one monitors and define
there whatever acceptable displays you can define.

> IME, two cables simultaneously connected from one GPU to one display is a
> formula for failure, unless the display specifically supports multiple
> simultaneous discrete inputs, such as PBP, POP or PIP.

Why not? I can do HDMI or DVI as I like. The DVI delivers somehow better
quality - might be because the HDMI has a switch box in between - I suspect
in general being produced in China and it can not deliver full
1920x1080@75, or may be some other reason.
Anyway I kept the DVI and it works with both plugged in just fine - may be
over two years already.