Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Tuesday 09 March 2021 08:12:47 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 09, 2021 12:12:40 AM Felix Miata wrote:
> > David Wright composed on 2021-03-08 22:37 (UTC-0600):
> > > I realise that, but if your service were to become unsatisfactory,
> > > then before you complained, you'd want to check that it's not your
> > > modem at fault. Would you expect your spare modem to work, because
> > > it has a different MAC from what's expected by the ISP's end of
> > > the line.
> >
> > Whenever I get a mind to, I call my ISP, tell them I'm changing
> > modems, and what the new MAC is. It gives me some confidence it's
> > still useful. If there's a problem they or I think a modem switch
> > might shed light on, I do the same.
>
> I have DSL service, and a spare modem that I've occasionally put in
> service (for testing the "main" modem) and have not had to notify the
> ISP.  (They were both provided by the ISP (Earthlink).)
>
> I don't know if cable modems would work the same -- I don't know if
> the ISP sees the MAC address on a DSL line.

Generally they do, I too have 2 routers, and own them both, but one has
the others MAC cloned into it, so my supposedly volatile ipv4 address
has been fixed for over a decade, making namecheap registration of the
link in the sig a no-brain-er.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis