Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Tue 09 Mar 2021 at 11:59:35 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2021 08:12:47 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 09, 2021 12:12:40 AM Felix Miata wrote:
> > > David Wright composed on 2021-03-08 22:37 (UTC-0600):
> > >
> > > Whenever I get a mind to, I call my ISP, tell them I'm changing
> > > modems, and what the new MAC is. It gives me some confidence it's
> > > still useful. If there's a problem they or I think a modem switch
> > > might shed light on, I do the same.
> >
> > I have DSL service, and a spare modem that I've occasionally put in
> > service (for testing the "main" modem) and have not had to notify the
> > ISP.  (They were both provided by the ISP (Earthlink).)
> >
> > I don't know if cable modems would work the same -- I don't know if
> > the ISP sees the MAC address on a DSL line.
>
> Generally they do, I too have 2 routers, and own them both, but one has
> the others MAC cloned into it, so my supposedly volatile ipv4 address
> has been fixed for over a decade, making namecheap registration of the
> link in the sig a no-brain-er.

I was under the impression (since 25 May 2019) that your router(s) was
connected to the internet through an ISP-supplied cable modem. Is that
not correct? I've been talking about switching between different *modems*.

Changing just the router, behind a modem, never gave me any cause for
concern about the ISP.

Cheers,
David.