Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 8:59 PM Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I think that i will need to get new desktop hardware, so i'm trying to figure out what to do.

When i got my last hardware, one challenge was UEFI booting, iirc.  After dealing with it, i sort of lost track of what was happening in that arena.  However, i don't want to get involved with that again.

I'm sort of thinking about getting a Dell Inspiron but maybe i should buy from a linux vendor instead, such as 76?  Presumably at least in that case at least i wouldn't have to worry about the bios.

I certainly would want to get something which supported 2 or 3 internal disks, but i would also like to get something that could be booted from an external usb drive.  Does that make sense?

Would it make sense to look for something where all usb ports are usb 3.0?  I've never used usb 3.0 at home, so i'm kind of unclued.

In a way, i'd like to have something with 2 ethernet ports on the motherboard, although i've found that usb-to-ethernet is adequate for my purposes.

And i think i'd like to stick with debian, but i would consider any free OS.  (So if i bought a Dell, i would add a disk drive or two, and boot off the debian disk, probably removing the windows disk.)

I'd appreciate any pointers or recommendations.

And i forgot to add that i would like to be able to easily run qemu or other virtual machines.  How would that affect the choice of processor, amount of memory, and disks?

TIA!

dan