Part 2 {Re: Installation and other problems ... [20 questions game]}

On 03/06/2021 05:46 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
[snip what I responded to in the previous reply]

Let me try and help narrow down some of the scope of what you're asking and
then see if we can help you on the debian-user list. Maybe you could:

Pick one machine that you're wanting to install Debian on. [Just Debian,
for the moment].

That will be my Dell Latitude E6410 which I use everyday. At the moment I'm running the i386 flavor of Debian 9.13. It also has the AMD64 flavor of Debian 10.0 . Both installed from relevant DVD1.

I do this for two reasons.
First, it proves I can run Debian configured "my way".
Second, it makes all installation logs conveniently available.

This is a game of twenty questions

What's this machine going to be FOR?

1. What's the end goal for that machine? What do you want to use it for?

The immediate goal is diagnosing the problem of netinst.iso not accessing the web for required packages. Next will be fine tuning a preseed.cfg to simplify having the system that suits my peculiar set of software preferences. Long term will be collecting questions to be asked by an upgraded Debian installer.

2. What desktop environment do you want on it?

A very lean MATE.

3. What other software are you likely to need?
[If you've some idea of this up front and it's a defined goal - we can break
it into steps]

That problem was solved long ago. Its called Synaptic.

4. ** Will it need to dual boot another OS eventually **

It will be multiboot from the start. I've been doing that with no problems since Squeeze.

5. Give it a friendly name we can refer back to in subsequent exchanges :-)

"Dell" as it is the only Dell laptop I own. My other machines are ThinkPads and one custom ordered desktop now collecting dust.

The physical machine:

1. What model is it? Any idea how old? Laptop/desktop?

A used Dell Latitude E6410 laptop purchased as a refurbished machine a few years ago.

2. Is it capable of running 64 bit software?

Yes

3. How much memory does it have [RAM]?

4GB

4. How much disk does it have [GB]? How many disks?

Internally a 150 GB HDD with ~32 GB free.
I have a collection of external drives available.
I can dedicate a 64 GB flash drive (still in bubble pack ;)

5. What video controller does it have [if known]

6. What ports or connectors does the machine have externally?

Two USB ports are available

Installation:

Internet provider
-----------------

1. What internet bandwidth do you have available to you to do this? [Claimed
max speed / real speed you get]

Unknown. Suspect speed is limited to USB2 bandwidth.

2. That bandwidth gets to you how? Wired? Satellite? 4G connectivity?

3.Is that bandwidth shared between lots of devices - can you spare
bandwidth/time for installation for this new machine?

Used only by this machine. After bug report is created I will continue to use purchased point releases. It is inescapably more convenient.

4. Do you have an all inclusive plan for data/phone?

I have never owned a so-called smart phone. Screens too small to be legible.

5. Do you have a data cap? [Or a practical limit where you can only download
X MB of data in six hours or so so large downloads are impractical].

Speed is acceptable. I have enough data cap space for an install using netinst.iso .

Connecting to the ISP supplied device - the Alcatel?

Yes

1. What interface is provided by the device that the ISP has given you?

*SOLD* I own it outright. The connection is USB.

2. How do you control the ISP device to change settings / check connectivity?

There is an app for that ;}

3. Do you have a second device which you can use to connect to the ISP's device to check

My service is tied exclusively to that device.

Given that we can't actually sit by your side

Part of the reason I multiboot this operation. It makes error logs trivial to pass on.

One thing that explains why narrowly focus my question is that I have decades in field support - some as field service some as engineering tech support. At times the distinction has been rather fuzzy.

to do this: answers to some of
these in order may help us figure out exactly how to go from here.

TIA