Installation and other problems ... [20 questions game].

Hi Richard,

Looking at the threads from you over the last year+: I think I see a common
pattern.

* You're the person that buys DVD sets from [somewhere] to install from, I
think

* You have issues with the install processes

* You're prepared to stick to old software that works but have difficulty
getting the newer software to stick on any machine.

* Everybody who is trying to help on the list is using newer software

* The issues you bring to the list tend to end up in a huge pile of mutual
misunderstandings

* You don't like WiFi?

* You have more than one machine such that references to them get confusing.

Let me try and help narrow down some of the scope of what you're asking and
then see if we can help you on the debian-user list. Maybe you could:

Pick one machine that you're wanting to install Debian on. [Just Debian,
for the moment].

This is a game of twenty questions

What's this machine going to be FOR?

1. What's the end goal for that machine? What do you want to use it for?

2. What desktop environment do you want on it?

3. What other software are you likely to need?
[If you've some idea of this up front and it's a defined goal - we can break
it into steps]

4. ** Will it need to dual boot another OS eventually **

[5. Give it a friendly name we can refer back to in subsequent exchanges :-) ]

The physical machine:

1. What model is it? Any idea how old? Laptop/desktop?

2. Is it capable of running 64 bit software?

3. How much memory does it have [RAM]?

4. How much disk does it have [GB]? How many disks?

5. What video controller does it have [if known]

6. What ports or connectors does the machine have externally?

Installation:

Internet provider
-----------------

1. What internet bandwidth do you have available to you to do this? [Claimed
max speed / real speed you get]

2. That bandwidth gets to you how? Wired? Satellite? 4G connectivity?

3.Is that bandwidth shared between lots of devices - can you spare
bandwidth/time for installation for this new machine?

4. Do you have an all inclusive plan for data/phone?

5. Do you have a data cap? [Or a practical limit where you can only download
X MB of data in six hours or so so large downloads are impractical].

Connecting to the ISP supplied device - the Alcatel?

1. What interface is provided by the device that the ISP has given you?

2. How do you control the ISP device to change settings / check connectivity?

3. Do you have a second device which you can use to connect to the ISP's device to check

Given that we can't actually sit by your side to do this: answers to some of
these in order may help us figure out exactly how to go from here.

All the very best,

Andy C.