Re: Installation and other problems ... [20 questions game].

On 03/06/2021 05:46 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
Hi Richard,

Hi yourself.
Just how did you know I'd just finished my first cup of coffee?
  as one well past 'three score and ten' it's decaf :{

Looking at the threads from you over the last year+: I think I see a common
pattern.

Yep. Been trying to define what the specification of the Debian installer _should_ be since the days of Squeeze and abandonment of M$.

* You're the person that buys DVD sets from [somewhere] to install from, I
think

I have lots of flashy tree ornaments on my bookcases.
They *WERE* an absolute necessity back when I was on dial-up.
I was one of my ISP's last 5 dial-up customers before going with T-Mobile 4G service.

* You have issues with the install processes

Not so much the process, but with Debian's quixotic attempt to be
"ALL things to ALL people ALL of the time".

I've *never* had any problem installing from DVD1 (or image thereof). That's been on a half dozen or more machines. In my early attempts to define what Debian's installation process SHOULD look like, I did as many as 15 installs from scratch in a week.

* You're prepared to stick to old software that works but have difficulty
getting the newer software to stick on any machine.

*NO* The problem is solely with my recent attempt to use the netinstall iso. IIRC I had used it a couple of time years years ago.

* Everybody who is trying to help on the list is using newer software

I typically have moved to a new release about its second or third point release. This time it's later than usual as I am considering moving from 32 bit to 64 (which all of my machines can handle).

* The issues you bring to the list tend to end up in a huge pile of mutual
misunderstandings

True

* You don't like WiFi?

It does not have any benefit and I see it as a potential gross security chasm. It's not worth any effort to use.

* You have more than one machine such that references to them get confusing.

I've only referred to more than one machine to demonstrate that my problems are machine independent.

I'll answer "20 questions" after lunch.
I've places to go and things to do.
See you folks later.
Thank you.