Re: Part 2 {Re: Installation and other problems ... [20 questions game]}

On Sat, Mar 06, 2021 at 09:32:11AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 03/06/2021 05:46 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > [snip what I responded to in the previous reply]
> >
> > Let me try and help narrow down some of the scope of what you're asking and
> > then see if we can help you on the debian-user list. Maybe you could:
> >
> > Pick one machine that you're wanting to install Debian on. [Just Debian,
> > for the moment].
>
> That will be my Dell Latitude E6410 which I use everyday. At the moment I'm
> running the i386 flavor of Debian 9.13. It also has the AMD64 flavor of
> Debian 10.0 . Both installed from relevant DVD1.

As others have said: you could just use apt-get update / Synaptic to bring
the 10.0 up to 10.8.

> I do this for two reasons.
> First, it proves I can run Debian configured "my way".
> Second, it makes all installation logs conveniently available.
>

> > This is a game of twenty questions
> >
> > What's this machine going to be FOR?
> >
> > 1. What's the end goal for that machine? What do you want to use it for?
>
> The immediate goal is diagnosing the problem of netinst.iso not accessing
> the web for required packages.

The Dell E6410 has Ethernet. It also has Intel WiFi. Installing iwlwifi and
using WiFi would solve your problem here, potentially. Using the non-free
unofficial firmware CD might also help, as this might contain any other
firmware needed.
[Using the 4G hotspot in the most usual manner.]

I'm not sure what protocol would be running over the USB2 interface - maybe
PPTP - equivalent to some of the dial-up protocols.

> Next will be fine tuning a preseed.cfg to simplify having the system that
> suits my peculiar set of software preferences.

Install [using the expert mode which will ask all the questions] a minimal
text only system: add software by hand thereafter?

> Long term will be collecting questions to be asked by an upgraded Debian
> installer.

You are essentially creating a system for yourself: do you see that this
would be useful to others?

> > 2. What desktop environment do you want on it?
>
> A very lean MATE.
>

> > 3. What other software are you likely to need?
> > [If you've some idea of this up front and it's a defined goal - we can break
> > it into steps]
>
> That problem was solved long ago. Its called Synaptic.

Just checked: Synaptic is maintained :)

> > 4. ** Will it need to dual boot another OS eventually **
>
> It will be multiboot from the start. I've been doing that with no problems
> since Squeeze.

So it will boot 2x Debian - at different releases?

> > 5. Give it a friendly name we can refer back to in subsequent exchanges :-)
>
> "Dell" as it is the only Dell laptop I own. My other machines are ThinkPads
> and one custom ordered desktop now collecting dust.
>

> > The physical machine:
> >
> > 1. What model is it? Any idea how old? Laptop/desktop?
>
> A used Dell Latitude E6410 laptop purchased as a refurbished machine a few
> years ago.
>

> > 2. Is it capable of running 64 bit software?
>
> Yes
>

> > 3. How much memory does it have [RAM]?
>
> 4GB

Maybe OK for Mate - slightly low for heavier weight desktops / significant
additional dependencies.

> > 4. How much disk does it have [GB]? How many disks?
>
> Internally a 150 GB HDD with ~32 GB free.

32G free is fairly small space for a full featured Debian, potentially. Would you be looking to replace either of the Debian copies already installed?

> I have a collection of external drives available.
> I can dedicate a 64 GB flash drive (still in bubble pack ;)

See elsewhere on debian-user, debian-boot etc. - installing entirely to flash
drive may be less than performant especially if anything needs to swap.

> > 5. What video controller does it have [if known]

Intel

> > 6. What ports or connectors does the machine have externally?
>
> Two USB ports are available
> >
> > Installation:
> >
> > Internet provider
> > -----------------
> >
> > 1. What internet bandwidth do you have available to you to do this? [Claimed
> > max speed / real speed you get]
>
> Unknown. Suspect speed is limited to USB2 bandwidth.

What speed do T Mobile claim that you are paying for / that you can download
at? (They are probably assuming usage of WiFi here)

> > 2. That bandwidth gets to you how? Wired? Satellite? 4G connectivity?

Ultimately via 4G connectivity - mediated via USB2

> > 3.Is that bandwidth shared between lots of devices - can you spare
> > bandwidth/time for installation for this new machine?
>
> Used only by this machine. After bug report is created I will continue to
> use purchased point releases. It is inescapably more convenient.
>

> > 4. Do you have an all inclusive plan for data/phone?
>
> I have never owned a so-called smart phone. Screens too small to be legible.
>

> > 5. Do you have a data cap? [Or a practical limit where you can only download
> > X MB of data in six hours or so so large downloads are impractical].
>
> Speed is acceptable. I have enough data cap space for an install using
> netinst.iso .

That could be a few GB download ...

> > Connecting to the ISP supplied device - the Alcatel?
>
> Yes
>

> > 1. What interface is provided by the device that the ISP has given you?
>
> *SOLD* I own it outright. The connection is USB.
>

> > 2. How do you control the ISP device to change settings / check connectivity?
>
> There is an app for that ;}
>

> > 3. Do you have a second device which you can use to connect to the ISP's device to check
>
> My service is tied exclusively to that device.

So: if you want to check connectivity / speed: most ISP provided internet
connected modem/router/access points have a web page to interface: you have
no other device to check/change settings at the same time you're installing?

> > Given that we can't actually sit by your side
>
> Part of the reason I multiboot this operation. It makes error logs trivial
> to pass on.
>
> One thing that explains why narrowly focus my question is that I have
> decades in field support - some as field service some as engineering tech
> support. At times the distinction has been rather fuzzy.
>
> > to do this: answers to some of
> > these in order may help us figure out exactly how to go from here.
>
> TIA

[Some comments added by me after looking up details of the Dell on the 'Net].

So:

What do you _actually_ want to do, here. Be specific, if you can.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy C.