Re: Non-free firmware [was: Debian install Question]

On Tue 02 Mar 2021 at 21:01:09 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> On Tue 02 Mar 2021 at 23:29:15 (+0000), Brian wrote:

[...]

> I was under the impression that "The Debian Images Team is a small
> team of people working on creating, testing and distributing Debian
> images for [us]", whereas you seem to be describing something like
> a wiki where any Tom, Dick or Harry dumps their cobbled together
> installer.

Not at all. I specifically had in mind DDs who devise installation
images that are uploaded to unofficial. Are these to be advertised
alongside what is there now?

> > My installer is aimed at users with an adapter that uses the p54usb
> > driver. It requires firmware that needs to be extracted from the device
> > and there aren't any such files in the non-free archive. I imagine there
> > are other similar devices.
> >
> > I can easlily provide explanatory text about why my installer is needed
> > and why it would benefit users. Would it be ok to have it in unofficial
> > as a non-Debian installer?
>
> Extracting firmware from the device itself is something I've never had
> to do, and wouldn't know where to get started. That might be the sort
> of process to describe in the Firmware wiki, under "Location of
> firmware files".
>
> Having extracted it, the "naive" user might then follow the
> instructions in the Installation Guide, of course, and then wonder
> why the d-i wouldn't find and load it.

This touches on where in the BTS to report a problem with a non-Debian
installation image.

--
Brian.