Re: Non-free firmware [was: Debian install Question]

On Tuesday, March 02, 2021 06:29:15 PM Brian wrote:
> On Tue 02 Mar 2021 at 16:19:45 -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 02, 2021 02:55:08 PM Brian wrote:
> > > On Mon 01 Mar 2021 at 08:13:13 -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> > No.  Providing a reasonable explanatory text about why some other
> > installer may be required and a link to a place where you can find one
> > or more.
>
> My installer is aimed at users with an adapter that uses the p54usb
> driver. It requires firmware that needs to be extracted from the device
> and there aren't any such files in the non-free archive. I imagine there
> are other similar devices.
>
> I can easlily provide explanatory text about why my installer is needed
> and why it would benefit users. Would it be ok to have it in unofficial
> as a non-Debian installer?
>
> Just a thought!

If you're asking me specifically, I'll say fine with me, as long as there is
something on the official installer page that reasonably "nicely" explains that
some people may require an unofficial installer, and a little bit about why, and
points to a page that leads that person to a variety of installers that might
fill her needs.

Others may have additional (or different) thoughts.