Re: Deb10 installer can't install grub

Dan Ritter composed on 2021-03-02 07:54 (UTC-0500):

> Dave Sherohman wrote:

>> I've got a new server...

> You'll want to create the following partitions on each,
> identically:

> 1 efi - type efi

Not RAID I presume?

> 2 boot (or boot/root) - type MDADM volume

I never have /boot on RAID, but that's just me I suppose.

> 3 root, if using separate boot - type MDADM volume

Agree.

> 4 swap - type MDADM volume

Think about this:

To start with, RAID1 is marginally slower than ordinary filesystems on partitions.

Does a server use swap to hibernate?

Does a server /want/ to use swap for anything?

Does anyone want swap on any type of SSD?

If I was to put swap on NVME, I would not use a RAID, just like on my old RAID
systems on HDDs. If I had 32G or more RAM, I'd just let the kernel swap to file
instead of devoting discrete partition space to swap.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/