Re: Preseed Bug or User Error?

On Tue 02 Mar 2021 at 10:45:54 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 10:25:02 +0000
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I wonder if this line is sufficient? Based on what works for me at
> > priority critucal:
> >
> > d-i netcfg/wireless_show_essids select manual
> > d-i netcfg/wireless_essid string Curleynet2
> > d-i netcfg/wireless_security_type select wpa
> > d-i netcfg/wireless_wpa >redacted<
>
> Major improvement, thank you! I did have to answer some questions on
> the way through, but did get a good connection.

Good. As I tried to indicate, the priority at which d-i is run affects
which questions are asked. Otherwise you get the default; what you call
the "correct selection" later on. My preseed file starts with

  debconf debconf/priority string critical

> For the record, here's my complete netcfg setup, other than commented
> out lines:
>
> d-i netcfg/link_wait_timeout string 4
> d-i netcfg/get_domain string unassigned-domain
> # Disable that annoying WEP key dialog.
> d-i netcfg/wireless_wep string
> d-i netcfg/wireless_essid string Curleynet2
> d-i netcfg/wireless_security_type select wpa
> d-i netcfg/wireless_wpa string >redacted<
>
> Network related prompts I had to answer:
>
> Primary network interface
>
> Wireless networks
>
> Auto-configure networking
>
> Please enter the hostname

Try

  d-i netcfg/get_hostname string your_hostname

It works for me.

> In all multiple choice cases, the correct selection was already
> highlighted; I did not have to select another option.
>
> I expect with a bit of playing around I can minimize those.

I would expect so.

--
Brian.