Re: Deb10 installer can't install grub

Dave Sherohman wrote:
> I've got a new server and am currently fighting with the Debian 10
> installer (build 20190702) in my attempts to get it up and running.
> After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I managed to get it to stop
> complaining about being unble to mount /boot/efi and complete the
> "Partition disks" step successfully, but now I'm completely stuck on the
> "Install GRUB" step.
>
> The GUI installer shows the error:
>
> Unable to install GRUB in dummy
> Executing 'grub-install dummy' failed.
>
> Checking the syslog output on virtual console 4 shows a bunch of
> os-prober activity (as expected), then finally:
>
> Installing for x64_64-efi platform.
> grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `/dev/nvme0n1p1`.
> error: Running 'grub-install  --force "dummy"' failed.
>
> I assume that the "canonical path" it's looking for is a /dev/sda-type
> device name, but I have no idea how to assign one of those to an nvme
> drive.  (And I thought that kind of name was supposed to have been
> banished in favor of "predictable" names by now anyhow.)
>
> Several of the old-style names are already in use; the installer is
> showing sda for the USB stick that the installation was booted from and
> sdb-sdi for eight large disks, but the operating system is to boot and
> run from the drives /dev/nvme0n1 and /dev/nvme1n1.
>
> What do I need to do to get this working?
>
> Also, would that solution also work for md devices as well as for nvme
> devices?  I had previously tried putting UEFI onto a RAID1 mirror
> between the two nvme drives, but got a similar error from grub about not
> being able to find the canonical path of /dev/md1.

/dev/nvme0n1 is your first NVMe drive; /dev/nvme1n1 is your
second. Add a p1 to each to reference the first partition.

If you want to install to an mdadm RAID, that's do-able with
grub as well.

In the installer, you want expert mode. Does the disk
partitioner recognize both nvme0n1 and nvme1n1 ?

You'll want to create the following partitions on each,
identically:

1 efi - type efi
2 boot (or boot/root) - type MDADM volume
3 root, if using separate boot - type MDADM volume
4 swap - type MDADM volume

Then you go to the mdadm setup and create MDADM RAID1 devices
out of each pair of boot, root and swap.

After install to those RAID1 devices, grub will want to install.
Do that to the boot sector of /dev/nvme0n1, and then again to
the boot sector of /dev/nvme1n1.

After a reboot into the new OS, you should set up your storage
disks.

If this doesn't work, tell us where in the process it stops, and
what the error is there.

-dsr-