Re: is it possible to add a secondary disk to an existing debian systems and install programs to the secondary disk

IL Ka (kazakevichilya@gmail.com) wrote:
> testing has [python] 3.9 and stable has 3.7.
> What if I need 3.9 but do not want to touch testing on my production server?
> Or how can I migrate to 3.10 (which will be released soon) if even bullseye
> will have only 3.9?

If your production software is intimately bound to a specific Python
version -- or any other language, really -- just forego the Debian
packages and build upstream's release of the exact version you need.

Leave the Debian python and python3 packages installed if they're
needed by other Debian packages.  Just ignore them for your production
stuff.

Build Python for your production stuff in /opt or /usr/local or with
Python virtual environments, or whatever it is that Python people do
nowadays.  Use that for your local development and deployments.

(/me looks at the Subject: header ... how on earth did we get from there
to here?)